Hi Howard Families,
We hope everyone is hanging in there during this strange summer.
We all have questions about school reopening. Principal McKenzie will be available to answer questions at an advanced meeting of Parent Council via Zoom, next Tuesday at 7pm. In the meantime we would like to gather questions so that the meeting can be as useful as possible to parents, many of whom are struggling to make very tough decisions.
Please use this Google Form so that we can organize and gather the info ahead of the meeting:
Parent Council Zoom Meeting Details
Time: Aug 25, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 815 8608 3796
Additionally, please note that there has been a Facebook group created by Howard parents to share information. (This group is NOT administrated or facilitated by Council.)
And finally, parents may be interested in some TDSB webinars scheduled for next week as part of the TDSB Summer Conversation Series:
As we approach the return to school, PIAC and the Parent and Community Engagement Office have partnered to continue the Conversation Series with a number of online sessions for parents and caregivers:
- Healing from Racialized Trauma, August 24, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Supporting Mental Health and Well-Being during the Transition Back to Learning, August 27, 6:30-8 p.m.
Visit https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Community/How-to-Get-Involved/Conversations-Series to learn more about each session. Web links for access will be added closer to the date of each session.
Also, please find below link to the August 13th open conversation on School Reopening for those who missed it, with many questions being asked that you as a community have posed as well. https://www.tdsb.on.ca/stream/liveWebcast-SafeReopening.html
Thanks everyone and take care,
The Howard Home and School Council
In case you missed it, here are the minutes from the last Parent Council meeting of the year, which was held on June 10, via Zoom (where we all seem to be living these days…):
Howard Jr. P.S. Parent Council Meeting Minutes – June 10, 2020
Thank you to the whole Howard community for your interest, dedication, and support this year!
Please join us on Zoom for the last Parent Council meeting of the year. Topics on the Agenda include Grade 6 grad, JK welcome, and more.
Topic: Parent Council Meeting
Time: Jun 10, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 833 1119 5694
Thank you for all your effort and support this year. We hope you are staying well during these strange and distant times, and hope you can join us on Wednesday.
Over the years, our school has benefited from the help of our neighbours on the Roncesvalles‘ main street and beyond.
Now is the time for us to help them!
Their sponsorship, donations and in-kind support make it possible for us to invest in things like iPads, books, art trips, sports equipment and so much more. They’ve provided silent auction items; donated food (and booze); printed, filmed, branded and otherwise donated their professional services and expertise. Without their support, we wouldn’t have the resources to put on major events or create the opportunities we want for our kids.
If you are spending money, please spend it within the Howard Community.
Here are some suggestions on how you can return the favour to those that have helped Howard in the past:
- Check out the list of loyal Howard Sponsors, Donors, Partners & Friends
- We know you’ll find some familiar names on this list!
- Please let us know if we’ve missed anyone…
- Visit their websites and online stores
- Many businesses have started online ordering, curbside pickup and even to-your-door deliveries!
- Pre-purchase things that you know you’ll need in the future (like summer camps, hair cuts, bike tune-ups, etc.). Even though most store fronts are closed, they still have expenses and need cash to flow now!
- Get social: follow the Howard parent volunteer social channels for ongoing ideas, stories and news about our neighbours.
- Every year (sometimes more than once a year), volunteers from Fall Fete, Spring Social, Home & School Council, and now also, the School Yard Project ask local businesses to help the school.
- Now, instead of asking for money, we’ve been asking how we can help. The response from businesses has been tremendous! They are buoyed to know that we are thinking of them and putting into action this community campaign to show our support
- Our hope is that our social channels will give you a one-stop-spot with information about which of our neighbouring businesses is offering what.
- Pick one of the channels below to follow or follow them all!
Our community is arguably one of the best in the city, if not the whole country. Let’s show our neighbours what that really means!
Join us in this campaign.
Stay safe, stay home, stay strong.
The parent volunteers
of the Home & School Council, School Yard Campaign, Spring Social and others.
Dear Howard community,
We want to touch base with everyone to say we are thinking of you and your families during this difficult time. This school year has presented our community with many challenges and the especially tough thing about dealing with this pandemic is that we can’t be physically together to get through it.
Our community is rallying to support the neighbourhood businesses as best they can, teachers are emailing us to support us, parents are emailing each other schedules to get creative with home-schooling and the kids are keeping in contact on various devices 😉
All this is to say, we are going to rally and get through this period of isolation and have a big party when we can all be together again.
We are postponing school council meetings but if someone is interested in coordinating some school-wide virtual events, please be in touch.
In the mean time, please keep safe and healthy, and stay home as much as possible so that we can beat this virus. #flattenthecurve
Howard Parent Council