Just like our kids, our community is growing: a new Principal, a possible Library revitalization, and possible expansion of the Howard catchment boundaries!
Miss the meeting last night? Watch the recording to catch up on:
Meeting Howard’s Interim Principal, Dr. Monica Francis
- Dr. Francis is a retired principal who has worked at TDSB schools such as Braeburn, Calico, Garden, Indian Valley Crescent and Mill Valley, as well as international schools in Abu Dhabi, Kuwait and China)
- Dr. Francis will hopefully remain at Howard until a permanent replacement is found
- The new playground is wonderful and almost completed – just need to move a storage shed away from the fence which will happen soon
- idea for the community to consider: revitalizing the Howard library – can we consider some low-cost changes to make this more of a multifunctional space?
Return to school
- we’ve had a smooth transition back to school with no self-reported cases of covid and low absenteeism among staff or students
- reporting of covid cases has changed per MOE and TPH but we are committed to alerting a cohort if a covid case is reported in a class. Howard admin would no longer be reporting these cases to the entire school population
News from Robin Pilkey, Ward 7 Trustee
- High Schools are going back to semesters as of Monday
- Due to over-enrollment at Keele Public School, we are looking to change the catchment boundaries and there is a proposal to increase enrollment at Howard by having some Keele boundaries re-zoned into Howard’s catchment.
- Grad Committee: Do you have a grade 6 student? Get involved in the grad committee – reach out to school council to volunteer
- PIAC update: Extracurriculars are still suspended. 300 additional HEPA filters are being installed throughout TDSB. We did not get the PRO grant this year, but are looking for other funding thru PIAC for these events