What: A “walk-in” event showing support for our students and educators
Where: On the sidewalk outside the main school doors at 30 Marmaduke Ave.
When: Thursday, October 10, 2019, starting at 8:15am
Why: Because our kids and teachers matter!
HELLO HOWARD FAMILIES!
Does public education matter to you? Do you want to show your support for our wonderful teachers?
A parent group at Howard is organizing a Walk-In Event to show support for public education, our teachers, and our students on Thursday, October 10, before the start of school. Similar events will be taking place all over the province of Ontario with more than 300 schools already registered, including Fern Ave PS, Parkdale Jr. & Sr, Garden Ave PS, and Queen Victoria PS.
We had a wonderful turnout for our previous Walk-In Event on June 6 and we’d love to redouble our efforts and show our teachers we continue to care about the state of public education. Their working conditions become our kids’ learning environments, and we all have a stake in this.
While this speaks to our current political reality, Walk-Ins are intended to be non-partisan events. The Walk-In at Howard, and at all schools, are held slightly off school property. Walk-Ins have been an effective way to win significant gains in movements for public education. It’s an easy and empowering way to rally together as a community, lend our support to our educators and show our kids that we value their education.
How Can You Get Involved?
Leading up to October 10:
- Forward this email or write your own message to your child’s class list so that our full community knows about this!
- Donate sidewalk chalk and materials for signs.
- Join the organizing committee (email Midori, address below)
- Share info across social media!
- Host a sign-making party with your kids and their classmates! Or just make a sign with your kids to bring to the Walk-In!
- Bake something (nut-free please) to share the morning of!
- On Wednesday, October 9th (weather permitting), leave sidewalk chalk messages of support across the length of Marmaduke.
On October 10th:
- Families will gather beginning around 8:15 AM outside the main entrance to Howard PS (30 Marmaduke Ave). (We will be mindful to not be on school property).
- We will have lots of sidewalk chalk, boards and markers for folks who want to add to their own messages.
- We welcome contributions of nut-free baked goods and/or coffee to share with the community.
- We will show our teachers in attendance that they’re supported by the Howard community.
- At 8:45 AM we will cheer the teachers into the school and then have kids lead a march and chant around the block with their signs. When the bell rings, families will cheer students into the school.
- We will video the sidewalk art and tweet with #walkinforeducation to the Ministry of Education and the Premier.
- Please use your social media presence on October 10 to amplify the event and its message. Use hashtags: #walkinforeducation #nocutstoeducation #cutshurtkids #ONpoli
- If you are a journalist, please consider covering the event for your outlet.
Feel free to reach out directly with your questions and comments.
Erin McCaughan, Mandy Moore, Midori Miyamoto