Howard’s STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) committee is looking forward to seeing everyone out at our Howard Family STEM night this Thursday from 6-8pm in the gym.
This year, families will receive a STEM passport when they arrive. Parents/guardians and children can choose the STEM activities that interest them to earn stickers on their passports.
- Investigating static electricity with a Van der Graaf Machine
- Looking at your own cheek cells under a microscope
- Playing with Virtual Reality Goggles
- Learning how to take apart toys to create your own maker space
- Investigating the effect of rotor length on the flight time of paper helicopters
- Building firefly circuits
- Discovering how to protect pollinators in our community
- Learning about STEM programs in our community like Maker Kids, Maker Bean and programs offered at the Toronto Public Library
- And much more!
Once children have filled their passports they will receive their STEM loot bag and are also eligible for cool STEM prizes. We even have parent prizes!
This year we will feature a STEM TRADE table. We encourage families to bring any STEM related books or toys they are done with and trade them for something new to play with!
We will also have a SHOW OFF YOUR STEM area where Howard classes will display some of the amazing STEM activities that they have been working on in class.
Also don’t forget to bring your old electronics in for recycling, as we will be kicking off a 2-week electronics recycling event this evening.
We will also have pizza available for purchase including both vegan and gluten-free options.
Can’t wait to spend a great evening with our Howard STEM enthusiasts, both young and old!
Your STEM Committee