Howard Fall Fete – What’s it all about, anyway?
By now, you’ve probably heard the buzz about Howard’s Annual Fall Fete coming up. What’s it all about, anyway??
What is the Fall Fete?
This year’s Fall Fete will take place on Saturday, October 18th from 10am to 2pm.
For returning families and those new to Howard, the Fall Fete is always a great family fun day, as well as being one of the school’s top fundraising events!
Come out and enjoy Fall Fete Classics like:
- Spooky Haunted House
- Popular Cake Walk (spin the wheel, win a cake!)
- Terrific hot lunch available at the Lunch Table and the bake sale
- Deep-fried Goodies prepared by our FryDaddies
- Wine Raffle and Basket Raffle
- Games for kids of all ages
- Face Painting, Cupcake Decorating, Bouncy Castles
- Used Costume and Book Sale
- Wonderful local musical entertainment
- Extensive Silent Auction
What do we do with the money raised by the Fall Fete?
As parents, we are aware that our children at Howard enjoy many enriched learning experiences that most schools in the TDSB do not. These “extras” that we have come to accept as our standard are entirely self-funded. Examples include:
- Visiting artists and scientists in the classroom
- New playground structure, new stage and risers
- Field trips, classroom supplies, books, school computers
- Graduation parties, end of year potluck, parent workshops, the learning garden
Each of these programs/enriched supplies are purchased with funds raised by us, the parents, through fundraising activities run through the Howard Home and School Association (formally known as the PTA). We should count ourselves lucky to live in an area where the culture of giving is as strong as it is, and the parent volunteers are so dedicated! H&S raises approximately $60,000 each year for the above activities.
The Fall Fete accounts for approximately 1/3 of our fundraising dollars, but, more importantly, it acts as a tremendous community builder and is a great opportunity for parents and their children to spend time together, and for you to meet other parents at the school. And yes, it is also a ton of fun!
How can you get involved?
This year’s Fall Fete will be a success only because of parent volunteers and their donations. There are several ways to get involved:
- Donate your time: before, during, or after the Fete.
- Donate items to the silent auction, book/costume sale, gift basket raffle, wine raffle, make a treat for the bake table, or a cake for the popular cake walk.
This year, many “old guard” parent volunteers are moving on with their children to other schools, and we are looking for new volunteer blood (metaphorically speaking) to grow the event and keep it successful!
Want to find out more? Come to our Fall Fete Committee meeting being held at Coffee & All That Jazz at 9:15am on Monday, September 15, 2014.
You can look for more information on how to donate or volunteer to be brought home by your child or by subscribing to our HPS blog at howardpublicschool.com. Also, keep up-to-date on all Fall Fete news at www.fallfete.ca or by following us on Facebook at Howard Public School Fall Fete and on Twitter @HowardJrPS .
See you at the Fete!