Once the 2013 cross country season is over, the Howard Running Club will be back for students interested in improving their physical fitness and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The Running Club will start up in the next couple of weeks and students will run weekly until the end of the school year.
Here are the details:
- Students in grades 1 and 2 will run on Tuesday mornings, meeting in the gym at 7:45am. The first run for these students will be Tuesday, October 22, 2013.
- Students in grades 3, 4, 5 and 6 will run on Friday mornings, meeting in the gym at 7:45am. Their first run will be Friday, October 25, 2013.
- All runners must arrive on time – no one can be left in the gym unsupervised.
- One of the goals of the Running Club is to increase students’ endurance and fitness levels. Students must be prepared to run. We’ll be running from the school to High Park, following a route through the park, and then going back to school. Students should be able to run around 20 minutes without stopping.
- Please note that we will be running outside, unless the weather is really bad (i.e. heavy rain or extreme cold). It’s very important that runners dress appropriately for the weather. As it gets colder, please make sure your child stays comfortable and warm by dressing in layers – for instance, a t-shirt covered with a turtleneck and a jacket or windbreaker (not a coat). In winter, students should also wear a hat and mittens or gloves. Of course, running shoes are a must (and don’t forget an extra pair of shoes in case the running shoes get wet).
- It’s not a good idea to eat a heavy breakfast before running. Students should eat something light and then bring the remainder of their breakfast to finish when we return to school after the run.
If your child wants to participate in the Howard Running Club, please fill out the attached form and return it to Mr. Jurek before the first scheduled runs. Also, we need parent volunteers to help supervise the students on the runs. If you would like to help out, please indicate your name and contact information on the attached form.
Thanks … looking forward to another successful year of Running Club!
Physical Education Teacher
Howard Junior Public School